Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a naked chair (and 11 cents)

After letting the chair sit in my living room for a couple weeks, I finally found the time and energy to attack all those staples....

Got home from the rock gym Sunday at 4 (after 4 hours of climbing, so my arms were already a bit sore...) and worked until midnight, stripping staples, nails, burlap, and cambric.

The fruits of my labor?
- one naked chair
- a million and a half staples in a metal mixing bowl.
- a pile of fabric templates, buttons, and excess batting.
- 11 cents.
- one playmobile rifle and assorted broken toy parts whose original form is unknown.

Watch my chair strip:

Taking the back off was the first step... and interesting because there are metal strips on the side that are nailed down, which makes it look smoother and more even when the fabric is in place. HOPE i can duplicate that!

Under the back fabric was a sheet of batting and burlap to cover all those puffs of batting you see here, which are keeping the buttons in place (i'll have to learn how to tie this knot):

Which won't be too hard, now that i've documented it with photos!! I took a bunch of photos along the way when something was especially complicated... and took lots of notes, hoping i'll actually be able to put this thing back together again!!!
At the time, this was the most interesting piece to remove, because of all the button threads!! Next was the seat -- pretty easy -- but then came the arms.... which were actually put on before a lot of the batting was. I didn't want to strip batting away, since i'm keeping the original batting and foam (and horsehair? there's something funky, black, and coarse/hairy under there), so I ripped it off, and will have to figure out how to put new fabric on so that it works without going down to the bones of my chair!

Maybe it's just me, but I think there's something very sexy about this leg :) hahaha, maybe because it's about to get NEKID!



Yay naked chair. Next up : cutting fabric and stapling it on. I THINK the hard part is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment